A Clockwork Indigo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Got the indigo attitude? Discuss what's on your mind here ...

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Banning Contemporary Music?!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FleurDeLis
Admin
FleurDeLis

Banning Contemporary Music?! Empty
PostSubject: Banning Contemporary Music?!   Banning Contemporary Music?! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 3:00 pm

My Professor for a Music Class posed the following Question recently:

Hermann Hesse once wrote that the deep thoughts of humanity can only be expressed in classical music. How has society been forced into decline and decay by the universal acceptance of all forms of popular music, from rock to soul to folk to rap to hiphop to country to techno to pop? How would thinking among the general public be improved if all popular music were banned and only classical music were allowed? Would you want to live in such an enlightened world? Why or why not?

I'm not gonna say anything yet ... I have the advantage of having lived through this discussion and I don't want to create a bias.
Back to top Go down
Idle Thoughts

PostSubject: Re: Banning Contemporary Music?!   Banning Contemporary Music?! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 7:52 pm

FleurDeLis wrote:

Hermann Hesse once wrote that the deep thoughts of humanity can only be expressed in classical music. How has society been forced into decline and decay by the universal acceptance of all forms of popular music, from rock to soul to folk to rap to hiphop to country to techno to pop? How would thinking among the general public be improved if all popular music were banned and only classical music were allowed? Would you want to live in such an enlightened world? Why or why not?

I'm not gonna say anything yet ... I have the advantage of having lived through this discussion and I don't want to create a bias.

Based on faulty thinking right there. Deep thoughts can be easily expressed through, song (no music), also dance.
Back to top Go down
Oliver

Oliver

PostSubject: Re: Banning Contemporary Music?!   Banning Contemporary Music?! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 11:07 pm

FleurDeLis wrote:

That's an easy answer.....Mr. Hesse is wrong.
Sure that there is a lot of stuff around that it is just an insult to real music, but deep thoughts of humanity are not exclusive to classical music.
Back to top Go down
FleurDeLis
Admin
FleurDeLis

PostSubject: Re: Banning Contemporary Music?!   Banning Contemporary Music?! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 10:06 am

I agree, deep thoughts are not exclusive to classical music by any means.

That being said, can you imagine a form of music that could better society in some ways, regardless whether it is classical music or another type? I personally find that contemporary music plays all too often with my emotions, pulling he heart-string or giving rise to excessive anger. Classical music, in contrast, seems to balance me rather than pushing me into a certain direction ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Banning Contemporary Music?!   Banning Contemporary Music?! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Banning Contemporary Music?!
Page 1 of 1