A Clockwork Indigo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Got the indigo attitude? Discuss what's on your mind here ...

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Beware: The Streisand Effect

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
FleurDeLis
Admin
FleurDeLis

Beware: The Streisand Effect Empty
PostSubject: Beware: The Streisand Effect   Beware: The Streisand Effect Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 2:24 pm

Just an FYI What a Face

Quote :
The Streisand effect is a primarily online phenomenon in which an attempt to hide or remove a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information more widely. It is named after American entertainer Barbra Streisand, whose attempt in 2003 to suppress photographs of her residence inadvertently generated further publicity.
Similar attempts have been made, for example, in cease-and-desist letters, to suppress numbers, files and websites. Instead of being suppressed, the information receives extensive publicity and media extensions such as videos & spoof songs, often being widely mirrored across the Internet or distributed on file-sharing networks.[1][2]
Mike Masnick of Techdirt coined the term after Streisand, citing privacy violations, unsuccessfully sued photographer Kenneth Adelman and Pictopia.com for US$50 million in an attempt to have an aerial photograph of her mansion removed from the publicly available collection of 12,000 California coastline photographs.[1][3][4] Adelman said that he was photographing beachfront property to document coastal erosion as part of the government sanctioned and commissioned California Coastal Records Project.[5][6] Before Streisand filed her lawsuit, "Image 3850" had been downloaded from Adelman's website only six times; two of those downloads were by Streisand's attorneys.[7] As a result of the case, public knowledge of the picture increased substantially; more than 420,000 people visited the site over the following month.[8]

Back to top Go down
GenericTylerDurden

GenericTylerDurden

PostSubject: Re: Beware: The Streisand Effect   Beware: The Streisand Effect Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 3:27 pm

funny thx for sharing I was not aware of the Streisand effect but maybe I will post her address publicly via my site lawl.

kind of like permabanning me from IS did more damage to DeeF's site than keeping me there, like trying to shut me up only eventually caused me to create a website that will in a matter of 6 months or less become more popular than the Indigo Spiritual Discussion Forum it took him 6 or so years to build

just google "indigo spiritual discussion" and see who's on their way to becoming #1 muahahahhahaha
Back to top Go down
FleurDeLis
Admin
FleurDeLis

PostSubject: Re: Beware: The Streisand Effect   Beware: The Streisand Effect Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 3:34 pm

Considers this though; your efforts to take down IS cause DFs site to become more popular too.
Back to top Go down
GenericTylerDurden

GenericTylerDurden

PostSubject: Re: Beware: The Streisand Effect   Beware: The Streisand Effect Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 3:52 pm

Beware: The Streisand Effect 43191-6122012104658pm

I know-- what is sickening is that I helped his site grow three-fold (literally 300% in traffic) with my positive contributions and he banned me, so a majority of his income can be positively correlated with the discussion I catalyzed on his site; I am very aware to never add any positive content on his site and only troll for valuable members I think would be a good fit for my site, and if they won't join my site I will antagonize the shit outta them until they leave IS; I have been relatively successful thus far;
Back to top Go down
FleurDeLis
Admin
FleurDeLis

PostSubject: Re: Beware: The Streisand Effect   Beware: The Streisand Effect Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 3:58 pm

The effect is more complex than that imo. Yes, you and some others generated mad traffic and caused some to leave ... still, the Site gains activity by the day, regardless of the absence of your positive content. In addition, your overall ways cause some to choose IS even though the place is worthless; they simply don't want to support you or anything you stand for.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beware: The Streisand Effect   Beware: The Streisand Effect Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beware: The Streisand Effect
Page 1 of 1