A Clockwork Indigo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Got the indigo attitude? Discuss what's on your mind here ...

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Christmas Tree

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FleurDeLis
Admin
FleurDeLis

The Christmas Tree Empty
PostSubject: The Christmas Tree   The Christmas Tree Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 10:43 pm

... for the first time in my married with kids life I have a real Christmas tree; I haven't had a real tree in my house (single and married likewise). While I love the look and smell of that real tree in my living room this year, I feel horrible about having it. I guess that plastic thing is hard to digest for nature from production til it hits the curb as ours did when we moved away from Hawaii. We had our beloved plastic Christmas tree for 7 years ... Anyhow, I don't really see at as a positive to cut millions of trees just so they can serve as a temporary decoration. In a way it is painful to see that tree loosing its life 😢
Back to top Go down
Idle Thoughts

The Christmas Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Christmas Tree   The Christmas Tree Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 4:48 am

Pity you can't plant it outside and have a permanent christmas tree
Back to top Go down
FleurDeLis
Admin
FleurDeLis

The Christmas Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Christmas Tree   The Christmas Tree Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 9:02 am

I wish I could Sad

Back home you can buy trees in pots that you can plant once Christmas is over but I haven't seen those here in the states (yet). Hub says that it is not common to do that here ...
Back to top Go down
Oliver

Oliver

The Christmas Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Christmas Tree   The Christmas Tree Icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 9:03 pm

For the first time after many years I don’t have a real Christmas tree. I have a Christmas cactus instead. Money has been very tight this year and I used a cactus that I have growing on a pot instead.
The trees grown as Christmas trees are produced in farms. Many seedlings are planted every year to replace them….it is a big industry on the US. Around here some nurseries grow Araucaria excelsa as Christmas trees and you can plant them in the garden after the holidays. There are other varieties of evergreens that can be used for that too.
The Christmas Tree Araucaria%20_excelsa
Back to top Go down
FleurDeLis
Admin
FleurDeLis

The Christmas Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Christmas Tree   The Christmas Tree Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 2:14 pm

I understand the industry aspect of the christmas tree, I just don't feel good about it ... same goes for cutting flowers btw; as pretty as it is, it seems wrong.
Back to top Go down
Oliver

Oliver

The Christmas Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Christmas Tree   The Christmas Tree Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 11:47 am

FleurDeLis wrote:
I understand the industry aspect of the christmas tree, I just don't feel good about it ... same goes for cutting flowers btw; as pretty as it is, it seems wrong.

You are correct, but you have to be careful when taking that path...you can easily be called a hypocrite or ignorant by some. (I'm not doing that, but it is a very tricky subject)
I agree that killing a tree for a home decoration is wrong and bad for the planet, but I wonder how many things on our daily routines are bad for the planet as well and we are not even aware of it. The simple fact of me being here (one in seven billion) is bad for the planet.
Anyway, this is a tricky and complex subject....I'll come back to this later.
Back to top Go down
FleurDeLis
Admin
FleurDeLis

The Christmas Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Christmas Tree   The Christmas Tree Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 4:37 am

It's true, we do a lot of bad stuff ... cutting the trees is just one aspect of our grossly ignorant behavior.

I found an interesting article today though. Apparently Christmas tress that cannot be sold by Christmas are donated to Zoos cause the animals there love to eat them and the vitamin c from the tree is extremely good for them. The trees have to be free of chemicals that make them flame resistant and/or last longer, however. As far as I understand that's the practice in Europe, I'm not sure about the US ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Christmas Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Christmas Tree   The Christmas Tree Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Christmas Tree
Page 1 of 1