Got the indigo attitude? Discuss what's on your mind here ...

PortalHomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Organized Religion - Benefits and Pitfalls?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FleurDeLis
Admin

PostSubject: Organized Religion - Benefits and Pitfalls?!   Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:15 am

I'm not a fan of organized religion by any means. I think organized religion molds sheeple who blindly follow without thinking about what they are doing, without truly understanding what they allow themselves to stand for.

Nevertheless ... I was exposed to a catholic upbringing. On the one hand this is a major factor for my dislike for organized religion, on the other hand I do believe that I benefited from it. I know certain values of mine are closely tied to my catholic upbringing and I cherish them despite my dislike for organized religion.

I have two children of my own to raise these days and I struggle to find reasonable arguments to instill the same values in them. I keep my kids away from religious thoughts and notions as much as I possibly can. I usually propose and support arguments that relate to universal theories or nature. Unfortunately, I'm not cut-out to be a stay-at-home home-schooling mom, I lack patience. In turn, my kids are exposed to some religious doctrines in public school ... Pledge of Allegiance/In God we trust yadiyadiyada :evil:. While I allow my kids to choose for themselves whether or not to participate in the pledge, they both seem to like it. I don't want to impose my dislike on their little minds and now I have to watch others imposing this BS (imo) on my kids.

I'm not sure what to do ... any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Oliver

PostSubject: Re: Organized Religion - Benefits and Pitfalls?!   Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:48 pm

Your kids are going to be exposed to a lot of crap during their lives. The younger years are the most important (0-10). After that they would not pay much attention to you anyway.
I think you are on the right track teaching them about universal theories and nature. Eventually they will be able to identify the crap on their own. Just don’t expect perfection…there is a lot of crap out there, sometime it is hard even for us to see.
Keeping your kids away from religion is one of the best gifts that you can give them.
I found this article today on AOL…..you are not the only one.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/devon-corneal/keeping-the-faith_b_1137893.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl20%7Csec1_lnk3%7C119421
Back to top Go down
FleurDeLis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Organized Religion - Benefits and Pitfalls?!   Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:47 pm

Thank you for your support and for sharing this article; it is good to know I'm not the only one who has some doubts but continues down this path anyway.

And the part about the feline after-life full of cat-pee-odors and scheming is just hilarious ... cracked me up Laughing
Back to top Go down
Oliver

PostSubject: Re: Organized Religion - Benefits and Pitfalls?!   Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:46 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Organized Religion - Benefits and Pitfalls?!   

Back to top Go down

Organized Religion - Benefits and Pitfalls?!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1